A Brief History
The Port of Camas-Washougal was founded in 1935 by a vote of the people. Its mission is to strengthen and diversify the existing economic base of the port district here in Clark County, Washington.
The 310-acre Industrial Park was established in 1966 when the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers created a 5.5-mile levee along the Columbia River. The Industrial Park is home to an an average of 48 businesses with an annual payroll of $8.9 million. Steigerwald Commerce Center, the 120+ acres east of the Industrial Park, is the site of future development.
Just south of the Industrial Park lies Capt. William Clark Park at Cottonwood Beach. Dedicated in 2005, Clark Park commemorates the historical site where Lewis & Clark’s Corps of Discovery camped for six days.
Grove Field Airport is named after founder Ward Grove who created the airstrip in 1945 and who taught dozens of pilots to fly. When acquired by the port in 1962, only three to five planes were hangared at Grove Field. The airport currently covers 106.64 acres and offers 79 hangars, with 14 tie-downs for outside storage.
The idea of a pleasure-boat Marina was first developed in the early 1950’s. Initial estimates of how many boaters would moor at the Marina ranged from 50 to 200. The Marina area now offers moorage for 350+ boats, self-service fuel dock, 4-lane launch ramp, parking for boat trailers and tow vehicles, overnight camping for self-contained RVs, a floating restaurant, a yacht club, and a nearby boat repair/storage facility. The port’s annual Riverside Concert Series is held in Marina Park and the adjacent Parker’s Landing Historical Park showcases the area’s history.
In November 2012, the Port acquired 13.25 acres of adjacent Waterfront Property (a portion of the former Hambleton Lumber Mill site), which connects to the 14-acre parcel of Port-owned property to the east. These 27.25 acres are included in the Port’s Strategic Plan for future development.
The port provides facilities and services for land, air, and water-based commerce in order to enhance employment and recreational opportunities, contributing to the quality of life in the community.